ENT Staff at Northwest Sinus Center
ENT Doctor in Bend, OR
Northwest Sinus Center is made up of a team of professionals dedicated to providing the best quality healthcare in a responsive and caring environment. Our otolaryngologists are all Board certified with decades of experience in the profession. They work in concert with nurses and office staff who try to understand your health issues quickly and apply the right treatment to get you back to your optimal health.
Dr. Ryan Gallivan
Ear Nose and Throat Doctor in Bend, ORNorthwest Sinus Center
Ryan P. Gallivan, MD is one of only a handful of ENT doctors in the country specially trained in Rhinology, which concentrates on both medical and surgical treatments of nasal conditions from allergy to sinusitis in children and adults. He was the first surgeon to be accepted into the prestigious Rhinology fellowship at the internationally acclaimed Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Dr. Gallivan's mentors were Fellowship Director Professor Donald C. Lanza and Professor Martin J. Citardi, both of whom are international authorities in Rhinology.
As one of only 20 fellowship-trained rhinologists in the United States when he graduated from the program in 2002, Dr. Gallivan could have chosen to live anywhere. He declined numerous academic appointments at multiple medical institutions to practice in the Pacific Northwest. Since his relocation to Central Oregon, Dr Gallivan has pioneered the use of Image-guided surgery in ENT, especially in functional endoscopic sinus surgeries (FESS) and minimally invasive endoscopic surgeries of sinonasal and skull base tumors. He also specializes in performing revision endoscopic sinus surgery in patients that had previously unsuccessful nasal and sinus surgeries.
Dr. Gallivan is a Diplomate of the American Board of Otolarygology. Prior to completing his Fellowship in Rhinology at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, he completed his Residency in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and General Surgery Internship at the University of California Irvine Medical Center in Orange, California. He earned his Doctor of Medicine degree from Jefferson Medical College at the Thomas Jefferson University in Philadelphia. He is fluent in Spanish.
Dr. Gallivan has authored numerous articles that have appeared in peer-reviewed publications such as Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, American Journal of Rhinology, and Laryngoscope. Several of these articles were co-authored with Dr. Gallivan's mentors, Dr. Donald C. Lanza and Dr. Martin J. Citartdi. Dr. Gallivan has also made academic presentations at the national and regional level to professional societies such as the American Rhinologic Society; the American Laryngological, Rhinological, and Otological Society; the American College of Surgeons; the American Society of Head and Neck Radiology; and numerous medical colleges and universities across the country.
Dr. Gallivan is a past President of the Central Oregon Medical Society and currently serves as a Board Member for HealthMatters of Central Oregon and Medical Advisor for Proxense, a leading developer of wireless IT platforms for healthcare. He holds memberships in numerous medical professional societies, including the American Rhinologic Society, the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, and the American Academy of Otolaryngic Allergy.
To view Dr. Gallivan's Curriculum Vitae, click here.
Why do other doctors refer their most complex cases to Dr. Ryan Gallivan? He is:
- The first surgeon in Central Oregon to perform Balloon Sinuplasty--in 2005.
- The first surgeon East of the Mississippi to perform In-Office Balloon Sinus Dilation in early 2011
- The first surgeon in Central Oregon to use computer-aided image-guided surgical navigation for complex endoscopic sinus and skull base surgery.
- The first surgeon in Central Oregon to perform minimally invasive endoscopic pituitary and skull base surgery.
- The first surgeon in Central Oregon to perform endoscopic orbital decompression for graves ophthalmopathy.
- The only Fellowship-trained Sinus Surgeon East of the Cascades.
- The first surgeon to be accepted into the prestigious Rhinology fellowship at the internationally acclaimed Cleveland Clinic Foundation. Dr. Gallivan's mentors were Fellowship Director Professor Donald C. Lanza and Professor Martin J. Citardi, both of whom are international authorities in Rhinology.
- The 20th Fellowship-trained Rhinologist (Sinus and Skull Base Surgeon) in the US in 2002.
- Highly experienced with over ten years of dedicated work and teaching to advance minimally-invasive endoscopic sinus surgery.
- One of a few surgeons in the Northwest to perform completely endoscopic resection of advanced-stage juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibromas,a vascular tumor in adolescent males which affects the sinuses, skull base and brain.
- A frequent speaker at local, state and national medical societies and conferences.
- An expert Sinus and Skull Base Surgeon who was recruited to multiple academic institutions.
- A Tertiary Care University-Level Rhinologist who treats patients from the entire Northwest, and internationally.
- A specialist in complex revision endoscopic sinus surgery for patients with severe chronic rhinosinusitis that have had previously unsuccessful nasal and sinus surgeries.
- Passionate about helping patients overcome their chronic sinus pain and headaches.